When it comes to pickleball paddle thickness, there are a few options to choose from. The most common thicknesses available on the market are 14mm and 16mm.
However, there is also the debate between 13mm and 16mm pickleball paddles.
In this article, I will explore the pros and cons of each thickness and help you decide which one is best for you.
Overview of Pickleball Paddle thickness:
Here is an overview of pickleball paddle thicknesses:
- The thickness of most pickleball paddles ranges from 12mm to 17mm.
- 13mm- These provide you more control at the sacrifice of power. They are intended for players who value precision and placement over raw power.
- 14mm: For beginners and advanced players, this is a suitable all-around thickness. It has an excellent blend of power and control.
- 16mm: When compared to 14mm paddles, this thickness delivers more power and feel but slightly less control. It is more suitable for experienced and competitive players.
- 17mm- The thicker (17mm) paddles provide the most power but the least control. Players who smash hard prefer them.
Thick vs Thin Pickleball Paddle:
The thickness of the paddle refers to the thickness of the hitting surface or the face of the paddle.
Consider the following factors while picking between a thick and thin pickleball paddle:
Thin Pickleball Paddle:
- Lighter in weight than thick paddles, they are easier to move and manage.
- Have a more compact sweet spot than thick paddles, requiring greater accuracy and expertise to regularly hit the ball.
- Because of the smaller hitting area, shots may have less power.
- Can be a fantastic choice for those that value control and finesse over strength.
Thick Pickleball Paddle:
- Generally heavier than thin paddles, making them more difficult to control but also providing more power on shots.
- They have a broader sweet spot than thin paddles, making them more forgiving and easier to consistently hit the ball.
- Can be a fantastic choice for players who value strength over finesse.
- Because of the broader paddle face, they may be more durable than thin paddles.
Are Thick Core Pickleball Paddles Really Better?
When selecting a pickleball paddle, it is important to take into account the thickness of its core as one of the primary factors.
In general, it is believed that thick-core pickleball paddles offer greater power and control when compared to thin-core paddles.
The thickness of the paddle’s core can have an impact on various aspects such as the sweet spot, power transfer, and overall feel.
Paddles that are thicker in size generally possess a larger sweet spot, resulting in an improved likelihood of achieving solid contact with the ball.
Additionally, they provide increased power as they have the ability to absorb and transfer a greater amount of energy from the paddle to the ball.
This can be particularly advantageous for players who heavily depend on power shots, such as smashes or drives.
However, thin paddles are typically lighter and offer greater maneuverability. These gloves provide improved control and touch, making them perfect for players who depend on finesse and strategy rather than sheer power.
Thin core paddles are also more forgiving for mishits, as their smaller sweet spot can assist in guiding the ball back on track.
How Thick is a Pickleball Paddle?
The typical pickleball paddles thickness ranges from 12mm to 17mm.
However, the thickness may vary among various models and manufacturers.
The thickness of the core can also differ, with the most frequently chosen measurements being 13mm, 14mm, and 16mm.
14mm vs 16mm Pickleball Paddle Thickness: Which One Should You Choose?
The choice between a 14mm and a 16mm paddle largely depends on personal preference and playing style.
A 16mm paddle will generally provide more power and a larger sweet spot, making it a suitable choice for players who prioritize power shots.
It can also be beneficial for beginners who want extra forgiveness on their shots.
On the other hand, a 14mm paddle offers a good balance of power and control. It may be a better choice for players who value maneuverability and precision.
It can provide enough power for most shots while still allowing for more finesse and touch.
13mm vs 16mm Pickleball Paddle Thickness: Is Thinner Better?
The debate between 13mm and 16mm pickleball paddles is similar to the one between 14mm and 16mm paddles.
Thinner paddles, like 13mm, offer better control and maneuverability. They are ideal for players who prioritize finesse and touch in their game.
However, they may sacrifice some power compared to their thicker counterparts.
If you are an experienced player who relies on control and touch, a 13mm paddle may be a good option for you.
On the other hand, if power is your main focus and you can sacrifice some maneuverability, a 16mm paddle may be more suitable.
How to Make a Pickleball Paddle Handle Thicker?
Here are some options to make your pickleball paddle handle more thicker:
Tennis handle tape:
Enhance your tennis experience by wrapping the handle of your racket with high-quality tennis handle tape.
This tape not only offers a comfortable grip but also enhances the aesthetic appeal of your racket.
Ensure a secure and firm hold during intense matches by tightly wrapping it around the handle. To increase the thickness, apply multiple layers.
This option is the most straightforward and cost-effective. The tape is available in various thicknesses, allowing you to select the one that suits your needs most effectively.
To enhance your tennis grip, apply multiple layers of tennis overgrips to the handle. To achieve noticeable thickness, it is recommended to apply 4-5 layers.
Ensure that the layers are overlapping in order to provide a secure grip.
By aligning and layering the materials with precision, it is possible to create a grip that is both strong and reliable, capable of withstanding a wide range of conditions and challenges.
Add handle weights:
One suggestion to improve gameplay is by adding handle weights. This can be achieved by attaching weighted handles to the equipment.
You may want to consider attaching weighted handles or sleeves in order to increase the effective thickness.
In addition to providing additional weight, which can enhance the power of your swing. It has the potential to greatly improve your overall performance on the field.
As knowing about Pickleball paddle thickness is important, knowing about Pickleball paddle rules is also important.
Know more about the Pickleball paddle rules and use the correct pickleball paddle for your next pickleball tournament.